About the tutor
- Dr Michael Spacie was given piano lessons by his parents commencing on his tenth birthday. He successfully progressed through the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music practical and theory of music grades, achieving by 18 years of age, Grade 8 in both piano practical and theory of music whilst under the tutelage of Sybil Pentith GRSM, LRAM.
- To help produce excellent teaching results on all levels from absolute beginner through the eight student grades to professional diploma, Dr Michael Spacie has engaged in considerable CPD (Continued Professional Development) gaining a number of piano practical performance/recital diplomas as well as academic and theory of music diplomas – all of which have substantially helped in the successful teaching of various areas of music. (He has also studied on bachelor, masters and doctoral levels.) Further details to be found on the Qualifications page of this website.
- Dr Michael Spacie has been DBS checked/clearence (Enhanced Disclosure). An up-to-date certificate is available to view. The DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Service) was done through (EPTA) European Piano Teachers’ Association. Tutor Dr Michael Spacie is suitable to work with children and adults, and also to work with them in his own teaching studio at his home address. There is also maximum transparency during tuition: a parent or guardian is always welcome to stay in the lesson with a young person, and thus, there is seating in the teaching studio for one adult to accompany a young person.
- The tutor is known for his teaching, coaching and tutoring in which he enjoys developing and exploring students’ potential, encouraging them to develop their own individuality and musical identity and to improve musically. The tuition reflects the experience, professional distinction, dedication, versatility and creative passion of the tutor.
- Dr Michael Spacie is a pianist, piano accompanist, organist and improviser/composer/arranger. He is also a teacher of singing.
About the students’ tuition
- Dr Michael Spacie (Music Tutor) does not offer a whole range of instruments for tuition but is highly able in piano and music theory tuition and also teaches singing to a high standard. He is therefore a ‘specialist’, not a ‘generalist’ tutor.
- The accredited examination boards of Trinity College London and The Associated Board of The Royal Schools of Music are used for piano exams and for theory of music exams.
- The tutor is a holistic practitioner whose approach encompasses both rigour and fun getting students to think individually and to gain and develop musical independence and to teach in each student’s best interests rather than be pressured by other approaches.
- Students attending the teaching practice are helped to develop as well-rounded musicians through creative engagement with music which can be the springboard into an inspiring musical journey which allows students to find their own musical expression and musical understanding as each individual develops at his or her own rate and direction.
- Tailored tuition to the needs of individual students to ensure musical development, enjoyment and success in achieving musical goals whether learning for pleasure or for exam grades – which can also be fun! And, where musical and technical developments go hand in hand in equipping the student with the tools to enable and fulfil their musical potential. Students are encouraged to explore different styles of music and are motivated to take their musical skills as far as they can go. Imagination is engaged rather than just teaching the nuts and bolts of how to play or sing and thus encouraging interpretation and the communication behind the music.
- Students are taught and encouraged how to read music accurately and in-depth, thus fostering musical independence.
- Help given through practice tips and problem-solving strategies that enable a student’s home practice sessions to have direction and structure, facilitating good musical progress.
- Students are prepared in lessons to meet musical challenges which they can replicate at home. Focus is also on somewhat easier tasks that consolidate skills and build both confidence and musicianship through interpretative, critical and creative skills with the use of imagination.
- Confidence and aspiration building and coaching given through musicianship, piano or singing technique and musical expression.
- Students are helped to musically develop beyond their own expectations whatever their musical ability or musical background.
- A good solid musical technique is taught as part of a comprehensive teaching plan.
- Professional music advice, support and guidance always available.
- Absolute beginner, advanced musicians and re-starter students are welcome for one-to-one piano, music theory or singing tuition.
About the music teaching business
- Dr Michael Spacie (Music Tutor) operates his Private Music Teaching Business as a self-employed professional. He is a sole trader. His private music teaching practice is not an organization or institution employing or enlisting other tutors to carry out teaching.
- All lessons are given on an individual basis for maximum musical progress, enjoyment and benefit: there is no group or class teaching.
- The teaching practice of Dr Michael Spacie has been established since February 1987 and has steadily grown over the years through the hard work and dedication of the tutor and through the constant learning, adaptation, open-mindedness, continual development and flexibility of the tutor. The teaching practice was established without financial or other support or sponsorship from any organization to launch, establish or maintain the music teaching business.
- Dr Michael Spacie works as a private music tutor not because he ‘believes in’ private education (he certainly didn’t have one) but because offering the service of private music tuition enables him to serve and work for his community, town and wider area in the best and most flexible way using the individual one-to-one model of music tuition and learning. This choice is made because people will always be interested in learning music and particularly from a teaching practice where the evidence of work is inspirational, dynamic, outstanding and exceptional teaching.
About Michael’s early professional experience and development on the railway
- Michael was all set to pursue a permanent railway career. He learnt genuine transferable principles and transferable skills such as self-motivation, initiative, critical analysis, responsibility, accountability, safety, accuracy, focus, precision, procedure, decision-making, prolonged concentration, self-discipline and self-management (all of which are applicable to learning the piano and singing; studying music, and later running a business) through his father gaining permission for Michael in his teenage years when he was 15, 16, 17 and 18 years of age to accompany him at work in his railway signal box during the summer vacation from school and sixth-form and also at times other holidays from school and sixth-form in preparation for a career on the railway. Michael also was fortunate enough to experience the workings of other signal boxes through signalmen his father knew. One such signalman was not only good at his job but excellent at providing explanations and if you had not understood the first time, a different way of explaining would be found until you did understand and then you would be tested to see if you had understood – a technique Michael found useful in later years!
- Michael had plans to become a high-speed inter-city express train driver and the work experience and apprenticeship on the railway in signalling helped to considerably broaden Michael’s horizons and in addition mentally stimulated him through an environment which he found to be of beneficial and significant learning interest. It is always good to have a specialist area of knowledge and experience outside one’s current career and Michael’s early experience on the railway played a significant role in his teenage development and maturity which in turn fed into his later development as a musician and music tutor.
If you would like to read more, please click here »